Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Need suggestions

So a little while ago I finally got around to getting a new library card and getting some books from the library. I am quite enjoying getting back into more regular reading, as you may have noticed. I had forgotten how it helps funnel my thoughts and overactive mind into slightly more productive avenues.

For lack of a better term I am wanting to start doing some "research" for the follow up to Do Yourself In with some extensive reading (and possibly movie/tv show watching). Right now the concept is a bit shadowy and dark (surprise surprise, right?). No need to try and explain as its incomplete and, at this current moment, irrelevant. Anyway, point being...

I am looking for some reading recommendations.

Specifically, things dealing with death, depression, anxiety, madness, melancholy, ennui, insanity, futility, foolishness, hopelessness, aging, entropy, etc. Work that directly or subtly evoke those feelings/moods. I think you probably get the point.

It can be fiction or nonfiction. Classic or contemporary. Novel, short story, poem, scientific article, personal essay, journalistic feature, whatever. Probably a little of everything would be good.

I feel like the most helpful right now would be stuff that isn't super dry and academic. Something leaning a little more literary and romantic and, dare I say, lyrical (by which I don't mean actual lyrics, but those could probably help too).

But I do want academic type stuff also. Ugh.

I mean, really just whatever cause I'm gonna pick and choose what I want anyway.

So, if you've read this far... What have you got?

I guess I should probably read Hamlet.

2 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger Mooney said...

Any film by Bergman.

Winter Light and Wild Strawberries come to mind immediately...

I know you love the Seventh Seal.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Sam Winder said...

A follow up to 'Do Yourself In' would be sweet, but a lot of work. Hamlet is one of my favorite stories, but I don't always understand Shakespeare.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home