Tuesday, May 11, 2010

today was supposed to be the rescheduled first of my (hopefully) weekly i-will-focus-on-music-and-lyrics-on-this-night nights, but i put it off yet again. because i finally have a new poster job to do. and i need to finish it with speed. also, i'm probably quite a bit worried about anything i write being complete crap so i will embrace any decent excuse to postpone. that could be a tiny, sub-reason.

anyways, i spent all night trying to think of an idea and getting incredibly frustrated because nothing was coming to mind. the only ideas i had were just a little wrong. one needs to be for a later in the summer show. one is an idea i've had for years that i don't want to be a poster. it's supposed to be a shirt and i don't want a band to have it cause it's mine, dang it. even though i will probably never get around to making shirts so it will be a wasted idea. one is an idea that would take too much time.

eventually, out of desperation, i busted out on of my big ole books of professional illustrations to look for something to steal. i mean, inspire me. after flipping through most of it, i finally came up with an idea that had nothing to do with any of the stuff i was looking at (but, really though). and it involves a weber grill, a gramaphone, and a siamese twin. drawing starts tomorrow.

i find it strange that, after months of no poster/drawing work, in the last 24 hours i have been approached about doing 3 new projects. luckily i can space them out a bit so i don't have to be doing posters for three weeks straight.

anyways, one of the posters is for a book on tape worm/cody rigby show. this, dear readers, is where you come in. i have one idea, but i'm not sure if i like it or not. so, i would like to hear ideas from you people. my brain is dead, drawing-idea wise (as is apparent by my complete and utter stalling on a logo/website project that should have been done a month ago). what hackneyed doodled based drawing would you like to see on a poster of mine? since i know at least one member of book on tape worm reads this here blog i feel it fair to ask for ideas from the community (yeah, i have no idea why that makes it okay for me to ask either; just roll with it). help me brainstorm!

and, in fact, if you wouldn't mind helping me out with some more crowd sourcing, what are some things that are epic?

okay, i really meant for this to be a short little post. i really do ramble.
and then talk about my rambling.
metaman.

aaaaannddd scene....
(it is very important that you do the 'and scene' hand motion while reading that)
(or at least picture someone doing it)
(very, very important)

3 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Draw a tap dancing platypus! Or a giant squid hugging a sasquatch! Or the cybernetic ghost of Christmas past from the future! Or Sisyphus rolling a giant wheel of cheese up a mountain! Or a wizard who conjures pizza! Or the moon popping its zits in a mirror!

This is way more fun that doing real work stuff. Which is what I should be doing.

Also, what do you mean by "things that are epic?" I needs some context to be helpful.

Not that anything I've written yet is much helpful.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Emily said...

A. I'm really excited that you kind of mentioned me in this post. :)

B. Ideas:
i. A tired businessman on the underground surrounded by Dali-esque melting clocks. (Corners)
ii. Actually, that's all. I really like that idea.
iii. Except I would also really like to see your rendition of a tree lamp (if you saw that post on my blog).

C. There is a movie called Nuovo Cinema Paradiso that I'm in love with. It's epic, and even more epic is the score, by Ennio Morricone, who is the epitome of epic score composers.

D. I did the "scene" thing, sitting in my office in the HFAC. I felt silly, but also connected.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger adam said...

i don't know if anyone ever comes back to see my responses to comments, but i meant to respond to these a while ago and i forgot. so, here, finally are my thoughts:

jen -

this is why brainstorming is so wonderful. one of your ideas actually led me to the idea i ended up using. so, thank you.

also, i was just trying to brainstorm epic things. just to get my brain juices boiling. but, i suppose most preferably things that are epic that can be portrayed visually. although, i'm pretty sure this project isn't happening with me anymore so it might no matter.

emily -

you were actually the very book on tape worm member that i was referencing. cause i know scott doesn't read my blog. and i'm pretty sure there has been a total of twenty words passed between me and claire. anyways, i think this has earned you the right of a direct mention at some point. haha.

that's for the ideas. perhaps some day i shall draw a tree lamp. to be honest the ones i saw on your blog intimidate me. they are quite good. i'll have to step my game up.

i remember seeing you put ennio morricone's name up in one of your facebook status and thinking 'i wonder if she just watch a movie he did the score for?' what's weird is i can't currently remember any specific movies i've seen that he has scored, but the name jumped out at me.

the fact that you did the 'and scene' gives me great pleasure. it causes wonderful connectivity. and it is so necessary.


okay, this is the longest comment ever. fifteen gold stars to anyone that comes back and actually reads it all. well done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home